Are you ready to take your TikTok game to the next level? Then you’ve come to the right place! In this blog post, we’ll dive deep into all the different types of TikTok video ad formats, with examples of brands nailing each one.
Let’s get started and find out how you can create ads that will captivate your audience, drive conversions and make a lasting impression!
Introduction to TikTok Video Ads
TikTok is a rapidly growing social media platform with a wide range of users. It has become an exciting opportunity for businesses to reach out to these users and deliver their message in creative and engaging ways.
TikTok Video Ads are the perfect way to tap into this market. With Video Ads, brands can engage their target audience directly with eye-catching visuals, inspiring stories, funny clips, and more.
These ads have already proven to be successful for brands that have been quick to take advantage of the platform’s potential.
In this guide, we'll look at TikTok different video ad formats available and provide examples of each so you can visualize what they would look like in action!
We'll also discuss best practices on how you should approach creating a video ad as well as tips on optimizing your campaigns for better performance.
Read on to find out how you can use video ads on TikTok effectively!
Benefits of TikTok Video Ads
TikTok is giving marketers a powerful platform to engage followers with creative and funny videos that people enthusiastically share.
Not only are the social metrics of TikTok ads such as views, likes and shares extremely encouraging, they also have some very compelling features that make them stand out from other ad platforms.
Here are some key benefits of TikTok video ads:
- Reach a larger and more engaged audience: You can reach millions of active users on TikTok by running sponsored content that caters to their individual interests and preferences.
- Budget friendly: Despite its potential reach, TikTok provides cost savings compared to other ad platforms—and you can optimize your budget for maximum ROI.
- Advanced targeting capabilities: You can target audiences based on gender, age range, location, device type and interests. This gives you the power to create highly relevant messages for specific user groups who are more likely to convert.
- Analytics & Optimization tools: With consistent data insights & analytics provided by TikTok’s in-house advertising platform, you can measure performance & optimize campaigns accordingly.
- Engaging creative possibilities: The creative options available on TikTok give brands plenty of room to express themselves in a funny & engaging way – compared to traditional video platforms like YouTube or Facebook Ads..
Types of TikTok Video Ads
TikTok is becoming an increasingly popular platform for businesses to market their products, services and brands.
There are a variety of TikTok video ad formats that businesses can use to best reach their target audience and further increase visibility of their brand.
In this guide, we will explore the different types of TikTok video ad formats and provide examples for each.
- Hashtag Challenge Ads: Hashtag challenge ads are interactive user-generated content videos that feature branded hashtags or product challenges invited by TikTok users. This format encourages creative engagement with the product or brand and allows users to post and share their own videos with branded content in a fun, lighthearted way. Examples include the #SamsungGalaxygifts challenge and Nike’s #NoStrings hashtag challenge.
- Branded Effects Ads: Branded effects are sponsored creative tools like filers, effects, stickers, lenses and more that can be added to any video on the app. This format allows brands to further engage users by making them part of the marketing campaign through a more interactive experience. Examples include Nestle’s Hot Pockets Filter effect campaign featuring actor Mayim Bialik and Red Bull’s Rocket inspired 3D Augmented Reality (AR) Lens effect which allowed users to experience rocket launches from inside their phone's camera!
- Brand Takeover Ads: Brand Takeover ads are full-screen videos that appear on every user's For You page when they log onto TikTok App for the first time each day. These visually captivating ads allow brands to share up to 60 seconds of customized images or videos featuring soundtracks, text animations or other engaging visuals with viewers across all devices in one go! Notable examples include IKEA’s “Where personality lives” takeover ad campaigns as well as Reebok’s “Always stay ready "takeover campaign featuring professional athlete Ronda Rousey's story about grit and determination morphing into her fitness regime along with Reebok products featured at various points in the campaign in order to emphasize her journey toward success!
How to Create TikTok Video Ads
If you’re looking to create and promote a video ad on TikTok, understanding the different types and formats of ads available is an essential first step. By familiarizing yourself with the various video ad types, you’ll be able to determine which ones best suit your goals and budget.
- In-feed video ad. These appear within users’ Feeds, playing either before or after the content they’re browsing. These ads are typically limited to 10 seconds in length and can be optimized for sound either on or off. Since TikTok encourages users to post videos that capture their attention within 3 seconds, it may take a bit of extra effort for users to recognize your brand when using this format.
- Top View Ads, which offer near-exclusive access to a user's attention for up 9 seconds before displaying a full-screen "Learn More" call-to-action link that leads users directly to a landing page of your choice. user must watch at least 3 seconds each view before they can skip ahead or click away from the post — this makes this format already quite effective at driving engagement and traction with viewers who are genuinely interested in learning more about your products or services!
- Brand Takeovers – these give you access to prime real estate on select pages throughout the platform at no additional cost other than regular CPCs (cost per clicks). Brand Takeovers help grab attention with two 15-second videos - one immediately as users open up their app (static image) then after 5 seconds as they scroll through content (video). These can be targeted very narrowly so that you get maximum value out of each click generated while maintaining brand relevancy.
- Hashtag Challenges – these are usually large campaigns which allow your ad creative to go “viral” among other users through various challenges or games designed around your brand providing maximum exposure with minimal effort on your end! Through Hashtag Challenges, you have full control over exactly when and how you want it run by tweaking things like frequency capping or targeting specific genres or audiences to ensure maximum engagement rates while keeping costs low.
Best Practices for TikTok Video Ads
TikTok has become one of the most popular apps on the market, boasting over 800 million monthly active users. With an engaged user base, a variety of creative video ad formats, and impressive results for its advertisers, it is no wonder that TikTok marketing is becoming more popular.
The success of a TikTok campaign depends in part on creating an engaging ad that stands out from others and reaches the target audience. To do so, marketers must understand how different video formats Work best for different types of campaigns.
A successful TikTok video ad should have clear objectives and align with the nature and behavior of your audience. You’ll need to choose the right video format to achieve your goals. Here are some best practices for creating effective ads on TikTok:
- Leverage sound effects: Because users may be scrolling quickly through their feed, a sharp sound effect can grab their attention by making them stop and watch your ad
- Use hashtag challenges (Hashtag Challenges allow multiple users to contribute videos to a cause or trend): Tiktok challenges enable engaging content from many users and draw attention from viewers when exposed to numerous videos in relation to a particular topic
- Be creative with GIFs: GIFs are eye-catching elements that set your ad out from thousands of other promotions
- Experiment with “In-Feed” Ads: In-FAQ Ads appear within organic user feeds as sponsored posts but with organic content elements like hashtags and comments
- Utilize TopView Ads: TopView Ads occupy most of the mobile device screen as soon as you open up the app showcasing ads at full volume
- Employ NativeShare Campaigns:
Examples of TikTok Video Ads
TikTok video ads are creative video content typically between 5-15 seconds long, intended to engage and inform viewers in an entertaining way. These ads appear on TikTok feeds and stories, in addition to the Explore page, making them a great way to captivate new audiences.
To make sure your advertising efforts have maximum impact, there are some key factors you must consider before starting a campaign. First, decide which type of TikTok video ad format is best for you and your goals.
Different ad formats call for different objectives and reach levels, so each should be carefully evaluated before diving into the details of production or design.
The following are four examples of different ad types available with Paid Ads on TikTok:
- Native Video Ads: Native Video Ads appear as part of your followers’ home feeds or hashtag pages and run from 4-120 seconds in length. Your brand can share direct messages about specific products or services that grab attention quickly without appearing intrusive thanks to subtle logos and branding placements within the video itself.
- TopView Ads: TopView is an exclusive fullscreen video format that provides users with an immersive introduction to your brand story at no cost up front. We recommend these ads for brands looking to increase their app downloads as they provide users with a free preview before committing to a purchase decision— literally inspiring brands “from stare”!
- Brand Takeover Ads: Another one of our strongest formats here at TikTok HQ is the Brand Takeover Ad format— this exclusive style offers a unique blend of artistry, interactivity, and both sound & motion capabilities to enhance user experience and maximize creative potential! At launch this ad type only appears on Mobile Devices (iPhone & Android), but has excellent potential for future expansion across devices like Google Home/Amazon Echo programs due it’s audio & visual appeal!
- Hashtag Challenge Ads: This is different from other ads in that it leverages user generated content by inviting participants to contribute their best videos or photos using your assigned hashtag used during the challenge timeframe— making interactions more “voluntary” vs strictly commercial incentives usually involved in campaigns utilizing native video ads!
Measuring the Performance of TikTok Video Ads
Analyzing the success of your TikTok video ads is critical to understanding which video formats and targeting strategies are working best. You'll want to take into account audience engagement, reach, and conversions in order to optimize your video ad campaigns for better performance.
When measuring the performance of TikTok video ads, there are three primary metrics that you will want to pay attention to: cost per view (CPV), click-through rate (CTR), and cost per action (CPA).
CPV refers to how much it costs you for each view that your campaign gets.
CTR is a measure of how many people who saw your ad clicked on it.
CPA measures the average number of sales or leads within a campaign divided by the total cost of running the campaign.
Now that you know what metrics to measure when analyzing successful TikTok video ads, it's time to look at some of the more common formats used within campaigns. The three most popular formats are In-Feed Videos, Branded Hashtag Challenges and Brand Takeovers.
In-Feed videos are short vertical videos up to 60 seconds long that appear directly in user’s feeds on their ‘For You’ page, just like any other user content would appear in their feed.
Branded Hashtag Challenges involve posting branded content along with specific hashtags which challenge users on TikTok to recreate or join in with completing an online challenge related to that hashtag/content.
Brand Takeovers allow your brand’s message or landing page link/video to be presented as a full-screen takeover for all viewers navigating through particular areas within TikTok such as hashtags or search terms associated with your product/service category.
By experimenting with these different format options along with proper tracking data, you can better measure the performance of your TikTok campaigns overall while learning which format(s) work best for achieving desired outcomes such as improved conversions or stronger brand awareness efforts!
Frequently Asked Questions About TikTok Video Ads
TikTok video ads allow businesses to reach highly engaged audiences at scale. It is a cost-effective way to launch campaigns quickly and make an immediate impact as creatives can be uploaded onto the platform with minimal prior set up.
This guide will outline some of the most frequently asked questions about how to get started with TikTok advertising, plus examples of successful ad formats.
What types of video ads can I create on TikTok?
- You can create 3 main types of video ads on TikTOP - In-feed native ads, branded effect/Lens Ads, and top view ads. All of these require a different set up and have varying levels of engagement potential/reach.
What is an In-feed Ad?
- In-feed native Ads are basic 15 second video ads that appear among organic content in a user’s seamless viewing experience. They appear just like organic videos but come with an added “Sponsored” label, allowing users to easily identify them as advertisements. These native ads are usually story-based and created to capture attention in the early seconds before being skipped or viewed further by users. Examples include many promotions for celebrity content and brand collaborations such as beauty products samples etc..
What is a Branded Effect /LENS Ad?
- Brand effects (known as Lenses on Instagram) are trendy filters that allow mobile users to inject fun into their timelines by adding special visuals or sounds -- like Video FXs or Audio FXs -- over their organic clips after they’ve been pressed. Ads that use these effects often borrow from popular culture or trends such use animal ears, famous hashtags etc… They are more commonly applied in moments when people want something funny or silly rather than serious . Many major brands are using this approach from Nike shoe try-ons using Augmented Reality (AR) Live lenses or Intel Scavenger hunt campaigns etc..
What is a Top View ad?
- A Top View ad appears for 5 seconds at the beginning of any uploaded video and does not require tapping into the full clip for views and engagement potential like other versions do . It has no sound associated and will play silently over all videos until it’s completed its 5 second cycle . It appears within stories either when someone clicks through from their view count memes/consumption stories while they're watching videos outside an individual profile view pages – which only allows 1:1 conversations between two people – top view ads are great for increasing impression counts whilst providing greater access control options than other forms of targeting lol ultimately connecting you to more users! Starbucks tend to employ these ads frequently by utilizing influencers and brand reps who promote their client's products directly within this intrusive format through organic content creation strategies.