Going from kitchen to mass selling: A crash course on manufacturing and operations (with Hector Gutierrez, CEO of JOI)
Your apartment or home is a great place to start your DTC product. Once you reach certain growth, you need to work with a fulfillment partner. Here's how to nail your operations.
- “Understanding your point of differentiation is key.” @HectorIanG #DTCPOD
- “If you're going to be serving in a large market, hundreds of thousands people are going to be eating your product or drinking your product so you want to make sure that it's as safe as it could possibly be.” @HectorIanG #DTCPOD
- “You have to be putting a product out there and engaging and thinking about what it takes to take it to the next level at the same time .” @HectorIanG #DTCPOD
- “Food items act differently in different environments and situations, so you need to be mindful of those variables.” @HectorIanG #DTCPOD
- “You can go far in a business with one product if you really focus on on delivering an amazing experience” @HectorIanG #DTCPOD
We Speak About:
- [01:01] Hector introduces himself and JOI
- [02:21] How JOI became a business opportunity
- [05:05] What to be aware of when working with CPG
- [07:26] The transition from tabletop to manufacturing at scale
- [11:19] Elements to consider when scaling
- [14:13] Characteristics to look for in fulfillment partnership
- [18:38] Defining internal and external fulfillment
- [22:08] Balancing the bundles
- [25:12] How to continue innovating the product line
- [28:41] Challenges faced as a CEO and advice to other CEO’s
- [31:35] What’s next for JOI and where to find Hector online
How to go from your kitchen to manufacturing at scale
Hector Gutierrez, CEO of JOI, joins the POD to give some insight on manufacturing and operations for JOI.
JOI is a brand that specializes in plant milk concentrates.
Hector recognized that there was a growing demand for clean, healthy, and sustainable eating, and he helped to develop a label that accommodated this need.
A common approach taken when creating products for consumption is to start in the kitchen, and Hector discusses JOI’s successful strategy from taking the brand from tabletop to mass selling.
Hector recognizes that products are bound to change when the environment in which they are created changes, and accommodating for this the best you can is an essential factor for sustainable growth.
Growing your product requires talking to customers
JOI stands out as an eCommerce brand company for its versatile, clean, and sustainable plant-based products.
The brand has experienced continuous sustained growth by listening to their customers and being open to change as demand grows.
Hector takes a strategic approach to achieving successful growth considering what can be done by the brand before deciding what needs to be done by a fulfillment partner.
The brand has fostered further growth by innovating the product line and understanding how to accommodate all the factors of nation wide shipping.
Hector recommends taking the time to look at every aspect of the brand to determine if you are going in the right direction.
Stay tuned as Hector discusses how JOI went from tabletop to mass selling, and the operational procedures that got him there.
If you’d like to learn more about Trend and our influencer marketing platform for influencers and brands visit trend.io. You can also follow us for tips on growing your following and running successful campaigns on Instagram and LinkedIn.
JOI’s website: https://addjoi.com/
Hector Gutierrez’s twitter: https://twitter.com/HectorIanG